The Charities and Societies Agency is hereby established by this Proclamation with its own legal personality and as an institution of the Federal Government. It is Established in by the Agency has started it function as of February 13,2009 and since the ratification of the proclamation many Charities and Societies get registered and commence their activities.
The Charities and Societies Law applies to the following organizations:
- Charities operating in more than one region;
- Societies that have members in more than one region;
- Ethiopian resident charities and societies, as well as foreign charities working in one region only;
- Charities and societies operating in Addis Ababa and Dire Dawa.
The Law will not apply
to the following
- Religious organizations,
- Foreign and international charities which operate under an Agreement with the FDRE Government,
- CBOs such as the Idir (burial societies), Equb (traditional saving societies) and other traditional, or religious entities,
- Chambers of commerce and sectoral associations, trade unions, political parties and associations covered by other laws.